‘Ceri Levy and The Ghosts of Gone Birds’ is a conversation with documentary-maker, art collector, writer, podcaster, BirdLife Species Champion, and long-time Chelsea FC supporter Ceri Levy, who has organised a remarkable art exhibition featuring artworks on extinct birds called the ‘Ghosts of Gone Birds’ to raise funds for BirdLife International’s Preventing Extinctions Programme (plus a bonus, short chat with artist Adam Bridgland who arrived at Ceri’s house with his piece for ‘Ghosts’ and found himself plonked in front of a microphone while Ceri went off to make a cup of tea…).
Advice: This podcast has been produced by Talking Naturally to support conservation. No fees or benefits of any kind have been charged or accepted by Talking Naturally. Bandwidth costs for this podcast are sponsored by Digital Spring.
Photo © Ceri Levy
‘Ghosts of Gone Birds’ is a travelling multi-media art exhibition designed to raise a creative army for conservation. Its first stop is in Liverpool on May 19-20th at the Liverpool School of Art & Design where there will be a Ghosts Gallery Space featuring new work by Ralph Steadman, Sir Peter Blake, Rob Ryan, Billy Childish, Desmond Morris, Pete Fowler, Charming Baker, Kai and Sunny, Rebecca Jewell, Olly and Suzi, Dafila Scott and Jamie Hewlett – to name just a few.
Each artist has been asked to adopt a different extinct species of bird and breathe life back into it through their art.
There will be paintings, sketches, sculptures, woodcuts, poems and installation pieces all dedicated to resurrecting such lost creatures as the Red Moustached Fruit Dove, the Mysterious Starling and Reunion Owl.
There will also be talks by artists, writers and scientists. And a live performance of new music especially written for the project by Jimi Goodwin of Doves.
- Ghosts of Gone Birds on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ghostsofgonebirds
- Ceri Levy on Caught by the River.net: http://caughtbytheriver.net/2011/04/the-bird-effect-diaries-28/
- Interview/podcast with Ceri Levy on Australian birding website Bird-O.com: http://bird-o.com/2011/03/30/from-gorillaz-to-ghosts-of-gone-birds/
- The Bird Effect: http://www.thebirdeffect.com/
- Creative Agency ‘GoodPilot’: Good Pilot
- Adam Bridgland’s blog: http://blog.adambridgland.co.uk/
- Ralph Steadman’s ‘Extinct Boids!’: http://www.ralphsteadmanartcollection.com/collection-view.asp?collection_urn=116
- BirdLife International ‘Preventing Extinctions Programme: http://www.birdlife.org/extinction/
- Birds are disappearing forever…
The natural rate of bird extinction is one bird per century. In the last thirty years alone, 21 bird species have become extinct. At present, 190 are classified as Critically Endangered. On the very edge of extinction. Without immediate action, many will not be here in ten years’ time.
Click here to subscribe to Talking Naturally on iTunes. It’s free!
Would you like to connect with our audience?
Talking Naturally is growing all the time. If you or your organisation would like to sponsor a podcast package and reach around 350,000 wildlife enthusiasts per month, why not drop Digital Spring an email. email@example.com