The one with guest Mark Lawlor, Guernsey Bird Recorder and the man behind the wonderful Gyr Crakes, where we talk about birding on Guernsey, the Pendeen Madeira Petrel, the feeble attempt by the Scottish Gamekeeper’s Association to malign the White-tailed Eagle, Mark reads out a letter from ‘Grandpa Gyr’ and Nick reads out a letter from a clearly confused ‘S. Backshall’, and we have pre-recorded interviews with BirdLife Malta volunteer Nimrod Mifsud, and with musician Jimi Goodwin (Doves) and Ceri Levy (of Ghosts of Gone Birds fame) who talk about music, extinct birds, and Ralph Steadman’s ‘Needless Smut’.
NB: All opinions and views expressed by an individual panel member and/or guest during a Conference Calls podcast are those of the individual speaker alone, and are not to be taken as being held by or representative of any other individual, organisation, or sponsor unless specifically identified as such during the recording of that podcast.
And your Panel today consists of…
- Charlie Moores, a freelance writer and podcaster (and now sadly intermittent birder) who either lives in a warm little cottage in north Wiltshire with his family or in a cold ‘podding shed’ editing an endless series of podcasts that more and more people appear to now be listening to.
- John Hague, a birding psychiatric nurse from Barnsley who now lives in Leicester where he’s a prominent member of the Leicester and Rutland Ornithological Society. John blogs extensively at The Drunkbirder where he rants “about the world and the absurdities of life“.
- Tom McKinney, the Derbyshire-based birder and award-winning musician who founded The House of Bedlam and gigs as part of Tango 5, and author of the much-missed Skills Bills blog. Tom now blogs weekly at Birdingblogs.com/TomMcKinney.
- Nick Moran, an expat Yorkshireman living in Norfolk, where he runs BirdTrack at the BTO. Nick spent most of the noughties birding and occasionally teaching Biology in China and the UAE; he is an OSME Council member and secretary and voting member on the Emirates Bird Records Committee which keeps him in touch with Middle East birding.
- Mark Lawlor’s Gyr Crakes website: http://lalarinho.webs.com/gyrcrakes.htm
- Working List of the Birds of the Channel Islands: http://www.jerseybirds.co.uk/news/files/articles/working-list-of-ci-birds-to-dec-2010.pdf
Copyright Ralph Steadman
- BirdLife Malta: http://www.birdlifemalta.org/
- Ceri Levy and Ghosts of Gone Birds: http://www.facebook.com/ghostsofgonebirds
- Jimi Goodwin and Doves: http://www.doves.net/
- John Zorn ‘O’o’ album review: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=33488
- Scottish Gamekeepers Association raise fears about White-tailed Eagles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-14762183 and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-14631018
- FKNK (Malta) – Increase in psychiatric disorders after hunting, trapping restrictions: http://www.talking-naturally.co.uk/malta-increase-psychiatric-disorders-after-hunting-trapping-restrictions-fknk/
Would you like to connect with our audience?
Talking Naturally is growing all the time. If you or your organisation would like to sponsor a podcast package and reach around 350,000 wildlife enthusiasts per month, why not drop Digital Spring an email. firstname.lastname@example.org