The one with Bo ‘Fatbirder’ Beolens, the colossus behind the Fatbirder empire and the ‘Grumpy Old Birder’ blog. While we intended to just talk about what 2012 might bring, we also dipped in and out of HS2, Ruddy Duck culls, Badger baiting and hunting, Spanish Sparrow, asked whether Jonny Rankin could replace David Attenborough on the BBC!
NB: All opinions and views expressed by an individual panel member and/or guest during a Conference Calls podcast are those of the individual speaker alone, and are not to be taken as being held by or representative of any other individual, organisation, or sponsor unless specifically identified as such during the recording of that podcast.
And your Panel today is…
- Charlie Moores, a freelance writer and podcaster (and now sadly intermittent birder) who either lives in a warm little cottage in north Wiltshire with his family or in a cold ‘podding shed’ editing an endless series of podcasts that more and more people appear to now be listening to.
- Tristan Reid, aka ‘binocularface’, a conservationist and well-known member of the Brit birding and twitching scene (to quote from Tristan’s binocularface blog “Some may call me obsessive; but I love to see rare and scarce birds and will travel anywhere within the UK and Ireland to see them!”) who lives in Cumbria.
- Tom McKinney, the Derbyshire-based birder and award-winning musician who founded The House of Bedlam and gigs as part of Tango 5, and author of the much-missed Skills Bills blog. Tom now blogs weekly at Birdingblogs.com/TomMcKinney.
- John Hague, a birding psychiatric nurse from Barnsley who now lives in Leicester where he’s a prominent member of the Leicester and Rutland Ornithological Society. John blogs extensively at The Drunkbirder where he rants “about the world and the absurdities of life“.
- Nick Moran, an expat Yorkshireman living in Norfolk, where he runs BirdTrack at the BTO. Nick spent most of the noughties birding and occasionally teaching Biology in China and the UAE; he is an OSME Council member and secretary and voting member on the Emirates Bird Records Committee which keeps him in touch with Middle East birding.
Welcome to the Grumpy Old Birder BLOG and magazine article repository…
…the place where ‘the fatbirder’ rants and records published work.
Although I am sure some people who know me might disagree – I am not, by nature, particularly grumpy… I like, above all things, to laugh. However, somethings drive me nuts including cruelty, high-handed authority, and the selfishness of those whose actions effectively rob the majority of pleasure for the sake of their own pleasure. Into this category I lump those who kill things for pleasure, those who exploit the land regardless of how it effects wildlife and those who allow their pets to destroy habitat or kill wild creatures.
I am also increasingly incensed by people not confronting the ‘elephants in the room’ of over population, the myth of the need for ‘growth’ and the selfish pursuit of profit.
If any of this turns on a small light in the back of your mind you may find something here that you will enjoy reading…. I hope so!
Join in the discussion about The Conference Calls on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/theconferancecalls/
Click here to subscribe to Talking Naturally on iTunes.