National Bird Day is an annual event that takes place every January 5th (at the end of the Christmas Bird Count season in the Americas) and is organised by Born Free USA in coordination with the Avian Welfare Coalition to take action on behalf of captive birds by drawing attention to the exploitation of other countries’ native birds by the U.S. pet industry.
Speakers on this podcast are New York-based Denise Kelly (President & Co-Founder of the Avian Welfare Coalition), Marc Johnson (Founder and CEO of Rhode Island-based Foster Parrots and the conservationist behind the innovative eco-tourism initiative ‘Project Guyana’), and Drs David Morimoto, Head of the Biology Department of Massachusetts’ Lesley University, and Michael Schindlinger, Professor of biology at Lesley (both of whom were speaking via Skype from a hotel balcony in Georgetown, Guyana!).
Disclaimer: This podcast has been produced by Talking Naturally to support conservation. No fees or benefits of any kind have been charged or accepted by Talking Naturally. Bandwidth costs for this podcast are sponsored by Digital Spring.
- National Bird Day website – http://www.nationalbirdday.org/
- Avian Welfare Coalition’s ‘Avian Welfare Resource Center’ – http://www.avianwelfare.org/welcome.htm
- Foster Parrots and the Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary http://www.fosterparrots.com/
- Project Guyana – Project Guyana
- Maipama Eco-lodge – http://www.wildrupununi.com/
- ‘Fly, Parrot, Fly’ sung by Mike Schindinger – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSC9x5-xkc
Click here to subscribe to Talking Naturally on iTunes. It’s free!
Would you like to connect with our audience?
Talking Naturally is growing all the time. If you or your organisation would like to sponsor a podcast package and reach around 350,000 wildlife enthusiasts per month, why not drop Digital Spring an email. firstname.lastname@example.org